Advice from Vonnegut

Comments

Unknown said…
1GET.

(First person to post a comment in English 12 Advance Credit @ Moscrop?)

I don't know exactly how this works, but if my name doesn't show up, its Henry!

And now, the comment on the video:

There are two particular things that I believe in Vonnegut's ways to write a good story are very profound and accurate, as seen in many short stories I've read.. One of them being Number 4, and the other one, Number 6.

Number 4 is: "Every sentence must do one of two things -- reveal character or advance the fiction." This hit me hard particularly because I remember the times when I had to proof-read some of my peer's work, and could not answer him why a part of his writing was redundant or unfitting. If I had to chance again to do the same, most definitely, I would be able to tell him why!

The other one, Number 6, is : "Be a Sadist." I've read many short stories, most of which the main character dies at the end.. which can be debated as the worst thing that can happen to someone. Though there are times when short stories don't resolve in the death of the main character, I'm sure that others would agree that dying is not the most pleasant thing..

Either way, the death of the main character in short stories is very commonly used (I guess?), and the death of the main character concludes "his story", and maybe even "history"! If you see what I did there. ;p

Now.. for all other students who are reading this blog, make a gmail account and start posting! Its not difficult to make, and it would be great if our class could share ideas outside of class as well! (And maybe even some brownie points from Leanne ;p)

P.S.: I really like how Vonnegut says "Your story will get pneumonia." and "Should cockroaches eat the last few pages." I found that really entertaining to listen to while watching.. mostly because of how random it was ;]
Grace said…
I like how the first advice was being said right in the beginning of the video. This can somewhat connected to the video as it is saying your time will not be wasted watching this, and it makes us want to know more of his intelligent advice.

According to point three, I like this saying because a character is always there for a certain purpose! Or else, why would the author want he or she be in the story? In a way, it will just be wasting our time.

Point eight I think it is very well said. No one wants to read a story having the plot that moves slowly. This will probably stop me from continuing reading.

I was a bit of surprise knowing one of the advices is to tell us to "be a sadist". For me, I would prefer to read something that is more light-hearted, but a short story is just like a lifelong lesson; we wouldn't be able to taste the sweetness if we've never tasted something bitter! ;D

Popular posts from this blog

Dead Crows and Other Mysteries

Are You Normal?

Rules & Laws: What is their role?